Current:Home > NewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Core Financial Strategies
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 10:15:08
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (7839)
Related
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Want tickets to the Lions vs. Buccaneers game? They could cost you thousands on resale
- US, South Korea and Japan conduct naval drills as tensions deepen with North Korea
- US election commission loses another executive director as critical election year begins
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- North Carolina election board says Republican with criminal past qualifies as legislative candidate
- Hose kink in smoky darkness disoriented firefighter in ship blaze that killed 2 colleagues
- Bernie Sanders forces US senators into a test vote on military aid as the Israel-Hamas war grinds on
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- More transgender candidates face challenges running for office in Ohio for omitting their deadname
Ranking
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Two Malaysian filmmakers are charged with offending the religious feelings of others in banned film
- Davos hosts UN chief, top diplomats of US, Iran as World Economic Forum meeting reaches Day Two
- EIF Tokens Involving Charity, Enhancing Society
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Justice Department report into Uvalde school shooting expected this week
- The Leap from Quantitative Trading to Artificial Intelligence
- Pacific Northwest hunkers down for ice and freezing rain, while other US regions also battle cold
Recommendation
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
NYPD says 2 officers shot during domestic call in Brooklyn expected to recover; suspect also wounded
3 men found dead outside Kansas City home after reportedly gathering to watch football game
Slain Connecticut police dog remembered as ‘fallen hero’
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
Ellen Pompeo's Teen Daughter Stella Luna Is All Grown Up in Emmys Twinning Moment
Lawyers ask federal appeals court to block the nation’s first execution by nitrogen hypoxia
Alaska lawmakers open new session with House failing to support veto override effort